Food plays an important role in the Swahili culture, and so that was one of the first matches we had with Zanzibar. In our article about our stay in Zanzibar (click here for reading), you can read that we had the chance to prepare delicious food with our new friends. One of our favourite meals was Coconut and Peanut crusted fish. The combination of a crispy salty peanut crust together with soft white fish is just simply amazing. The same goes for the coconut crusted fish, this will give you a bit more tropical vibe. This recipe is very simple to make so that is even more worth the try! You can eat this fish together with rice and some vegetables of your own choice. Please find this delicious recipe below!
Ingredients for 4 servings:
- 4 eggs
- Peanuts (unsalted)
- 2 Coconuts
- 2 Limes
- Small glass of water
- 8 pieces of white fish (to your own taste)
How to prepare it:
1. If your fish is not filleted yet, you should do it first.
2. Take a small bowl, put some oil together with the lime juice, water, pepper and salt (to your own taste). Mix well and put the filleted fish into the bowl and leave it for about 30 minutes.
3. Crush/chop all the peanuts roughly. The smaller the pieces of peanuts are, the easier it will be to put it on the fish.
4. Crush the coconut if you have a fresh one. As fresh coconuts could be hard to get in Europe/North-America it will probably be a lot easier to just buy the dried version – this will do as well.
5. Mix the eggs in a bowl
6. Put some flower in a bowl
7. Take one piece of the fish, put it in the mixed eggs, then flower, then the mixed eggs again.
8. Put the fish in either the coconut mix or peanut mix. Press the peanuts or coconut crush into the fish and make sure it doesn’t fall off.
9. Repeat this with the rest of the fish; you will have 4 fished with a coconut crust and 4 fishes with a peanut crust.
10. Take pan, put some oil into the pan and fry the fish until they are golden brown on each side.
11. Serve with rice and vegetables or anything you like.
12. Enjoy!! You will definitely love this, it is easy, simple and so good!